The Artist and the Cosmos

“There is no linear evolution; there is only a circumambulation of the self. Uniform development exists, at most, only at the beginning; later, everything points towards the center. This insight gave me stability, and gradually my inner peace returned. I knew that in finding the mandala as an expression of the self, I had attained what was, for me, the ultimate. Perhaps someone knows more, but not I.”

--Carl Jung 


“…the aim of the artist was not so much to produce an artistic masterpiece as to create an image or model of the cosmos to enable viewers to better understand the world and themselves… [and] help the individual devotee find his or her own place in the mysterious vastness of the cosmos.”
--Meher McArthur, curator of Asian art at Pacific Asia Museum, Pasadena

untitled