About the Artist

Peter Radsch, a veteran artist of 50 years, specializes in mandalas and labyrinths. The meanings woven into the geometric patterns of this ancient art form draw on mythology, mathematics, astrology, symmetry, and design. The creation of beautiful canvases is all the more remarkable as Peter is color-blind. 
 - if you are interested in inquiring if a piece is available for purchase, contact his agent here. -


For me, creating a mandala is a journey of discovery and imagination that brings forth the spirit and wonder of life.
-- Peter Radsch 



chaos order
mixed media on canvas 3'x3'

Here are some thoughts about my inspiration for my art:

I’ve always been interested in matters of the mind as well as math. Mandalas can not only reveal the geometry of nature and the symbols that live in our lives, but can also offer a portal that links the mind to the cosmos.  I discovered mandalas during a particularly difficult time in my life and have hade a profound impact on my art. I have found refuge in making mandalas.  And they gave me the freedom to paint, which had always intimidated me because I am color-blind. Until then most of my work was in pen an ink.

To me, mandalas are “deep play”. Ask any expert on play and they will tell you the importance of unstructured play, not only for children but also adults. I have conducted workshops for children, adults, psychiatric patients, and friends. I have seen their power.

What I really like about the mandala is that it requires no belief. Only doing. and the process is at least as important as the result. It is similar to tai chi or yoga, where you can benefit without the dogma.

I have enjoyed taking the idea of mandalas with their central point, concentric shapes, and symbols and go “off road” and see what happens. I rarely know the outset what a paining will end up looking like. The thrill is in creating, because creating is life. I often surprise myself!

Mandalas are symmetrical. I find symmetry boring, My challenge is to introduce movement or dimension or surprise to counter the inherent stasis of symmetry.

Some of the themes that run through my art are natural geometry (sometimes called sacred geometry), numbers as symbols, multi-dimensions, and the effect of light and the viewer’s position on the aesthetics of the painting. Some examples of natural geometry I use are symmetry, the explosion/spiral, close-packing, alternation and patterns, the phi ratio, and the Fibonacci sequence, branching, and repetition. I often consider how the position of light affects the look of the image, as well as the distance from the viewer to the image.

Close cousins to mandalas are labyrinths (different than mazes) and magic squares. They have also been a big inspiration.

Almost all my mandala paintings are square, so most of them allow for alternate ways of hanging by simply rotating, providing fresh viewings.

Most of my paintings use acrylic paint, which allows for lots of experimentation and creativity. Acrylics can be used opaquely or transparently, other materials can be added, and some unique colors are available not found in other media.

A long time ago I decided to make art for myself because I love to make art, not having to make art for someone else in order to pay the bills. As a result, I have not done much marketing of my art. In spite of that, I have had shows in Los Angeles, Pasadena, Indianapolis, Santa Barbara, and Boston.

Comments